As the eve of the New Year draws near, I feel super generous, thrilled and excited to share mind blowing success skills that I picked from one of my best read this year :In Charge. Well, life springs and blossoms when you stride in the drivers seat and take charge of both immeasurable and minute aspects that touch on your progress! This book has simple practical ideas on how you can effectively take charge of your Life and unearth the leader within you. Enjoy!
“Of all the challenges our 21st Century World must confront such as terrorism, wars, epidemics, global warming and corporate corruption, the greatest challenge is finding effective leaders”
~Dr. Myles Munroe
THE BIG IDEAS
- Why Lead?
- This is My Spot: Go Find Yours!
- Jockeying for Positions
- It’s Greek to me: Out with Old Ideas
- Check the Reservations: Your name is on the Roll!
- Leaders are Made Not Born: Self Discovery is the Main Ingredient
- Prepare: The Tool Box of A Leader
- Train: Who Will come after you?
Dr. Myles Munroe introduces the reader into a colonial dimension which he was forced down his throat to absorb and adore during his teenage days in Nassau, Bahamas, at his little village of Bain’s Town. The same widespread notion of “Born to serve, not to lead” and “destined by providence to be a slave” was also spread in other territories subdued by the queen of England at the time. He winds up the Introduction part by pointing out that to emerge an enigma, he had to face life and grapple with the internal need to find significance, which partly involved erasing past reinforced perceptions of his authentic self.
According to Dr. Myles, true leadership does not maintain followers but produces leaders.
How’d you like to discover the leader within you? (Me, too!)
Well, you’re in luck.
We have Myles Munroe—one of the world’s leading life strategist who who is a global motivational speaker and best selling author—as our guide. (Munroe also wrote The Power of Vision and The power of character In Leadership among other 58 gold mines that you can check into. Check out our Notes on some of those as well.)
Although the title of this book quotes on leadership and takes a deeper look to its connection with Christianity, often drawing wide references from the bible and trapping whales from the ocean of philosophy and other related disciplines, I think it’s perfect for everyone who desires to unearth the divine greatness within them—which is really all of us, eh? As a teacher, I love applying the wisdom to my arena and I imagine you will as well. (If you like this Note, I think you’ll dig the book. Get a copy “Here”
As is the case with all great books, this one is packed with Big Ideas. I’m excited to share a few of my favorites so let’s jump straight in!
(P.S. As you may have noticed by now, I love Leadership and Life Strategy books. Check out our growing collection “here” )
IDEA I: WHY LEAD?
“It is not that we do not have people occupying offices, of leadership offices in our world. We have many leaders today- but, sadly, not much leadership”
~ Myles Munroe
Throughout the book, Dr Myles Munroe paints that everyone has leadership potential and hence born to lead. “Trapped within you is a hidden Leader…wired for you to lead…not to dominate people but to subdue in an area of gifting,” he asserts.In this regard, Myles highlights that everyone was born with a precious gem that the world needs. Myles carefully carves a clear reason that everyone should seek this “spot.” He further adds that a void of leadership exists all over the world in both industrialized and developing nations. People wonder where they can find strong leaders they can trust.
Myles summarizes the key note tenets in 6 philosophical phrases which he refers to as “servant leadership philosophical pillars”
- Every Human Being was created to lead:Your desire and the predisposition to lead is inborn
- Every human possesses leadership potential:You have the ability to lead in an area of gifting
- Trapped In Every Follower is a hidden Leader: If you accept false ideas about who can or cannot become a leader, it can smother your potential
- Though everyone was born to Lead, most will die as followers: If you do not identify and tap into your giftness, it will be wasted buried with you.
- Leadership is your History and destiny: You were created to be a leader and designed to fulfill your assignment.
- The world needs your Leadership: You exist to meet a specific need on earth that no one else can meet.
IDEA TWO: THIS IS MY SPOT: GO FIND YOURS!
Before I touch on this, I would like to point out that Myles constantly affirms that leadership is inherent. To quote him, he says, “Leadership is Predetermined, not preference…leadership is not something you do, it is something you are…you cannot retire from it, just like a bird which obviously cannot retire from flight.”
Myles further quotes that leadership is a prepared position…it demands a price..and that it is inherent (it is not given to you by request or by prayer, you are born with it!)
To highlight this, Jesus quotes a Biblical reference from Mathew 20. During his training of his leaders who were all students of his, (Note: the term “student” is the word we translate as “disciple”…a Greek word that means “learner”) I’m now obliged to define Jesus Christ as “trainer of humanity” since he had a class of 12 students 🙂 Matthew 20 points out that one day He was having a discussion with the 12. Two of those 12 had a desire which is very common among all humans, they wanted to be great! (can I use the term they wanted to “feel important!”)
The desire for greatness is common in all humans, even though most of them deny it! As a matter of fact, we think, that if we desire to be great, we are not humble. I beg to disagree. If you don’t wanna be great, something is terribly wrong with you. The desire of the Human, to feel important and to do something significant is VERY NORMAL..AND SHOULD BE ENCOURAGED!!! Can I put it this way, “Our culture makes us feel guilty about desiring greatness” So, even though there is a desire within us to become great, there is an external pressure to suppress it..and so you and I are walking in a contradiction- of our own selves! And hence we live a lie. And that lie says, “I don’t wanna be great…I don’t wanna become anything significant” This is a lie! Every human being desires to feel important, and they want to do something valuable and they want to feel that they are significant. Am I Right? Now, if you say no to that you’re lying to me!!
Back to Matthew 20. So 2 of his students were very honest. They decided to let him know that they wanted to become great. They wanted to be leaders. So, they sent their mother to talk to him.
“Then the mother of Zebedee sons came to Jesus with her sons, and kneeling down, asked a favor of him”
Perhaps they sent their mother for different reasons or maybe their mother initiated it (you know mothers like to look out for their children 😉 ) But the story actually opens up where the mother of the Zebedee sons, James and John approaches Jesus and asks him a question, “When you come into your kingdom (when you establish your government),Grant that one of these two sons of mine may sit at your right and the other at your left.” (In other Words, Look, I want my two sons to be your Vice Presidents! (Matthew 20:21)
In other words she was seeking for positions of power and leadership for her sons, that was the request.
Jesus more or less responded “You don’t Know what you are asking…Can your sons drink the cup that I am going to drink?” The term “cup” here is an Hebrew idiom, a symbol for “price” or “cost”. The question Jesus used to respond to her was loaded. It could have 3 possible interpretations.
- You do not know what you are saying
- What you are asking for is not fair for others
- What you are asking for, I really cannot give you.
All of these could be part of the answer, but the third one is more likely the principal one. The Bible says that He turned to the sons, which implies that, they were right there, Standing behind him or side or perhaps Behind their mother waiting her to front for them. That’s my impression. Now, After this question, when you read the next verse, the mother didn’t answer, the two brothers answered! When Jesus said, “can you drink the cup that I am going to drink, the two brothers said, “Yes we can!!”Sounds like most of us, speaking without thinking.
Jesus, hence responded to them, “You will indeed drink from my cup, but to sit at my right or left is not mine to give. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared by my father.”
Few aspects to note:
- First of all you (Mother of the two) do not understand that what you are asking you don’t get it this way…the way you are trying to do this is not the way you are supposed to go about it. In other words, I understand the system…I can accept the fact that you are trying to do it, but this is not going to work. It never works!
- Jesus didn’t say that you will drink my cup, because no one can drink your cup.
- His cup was death on the cross to save humanity. In other words, he was telling her that, “I didn’t get where I am because I preferred to be there, I got where I am because I paid a price. Now, if you study the story of Both James and John, they both died horribly. James was slain in half with a saw and John was boiled in hot Oil and then he was abandoned with his skin off his body in an island called Patmos. They indeed suffered, but that not my point.
- Jesus used the opportunity to teach the entire class a lesson. He turned to the 12 and said, “to sit at my right or left is not mine to give. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared by my father.”
The 4th point was the main focal point of the entire blog. Jesus is telling us that leadership positions cannot be prayed for. You cannot ask God for leadership positions. In other words, There are some requests or prayers that Jesus cannot answer, like granting leadership positions. James and John wanted positions of leadership and influence. Jesus affirmed that you cannot ask for leadership positions. There are positions that you were born to be in…designed by your Father* (the term Father here is translated from the Greek term πατήρ, πατρός, ὁ to mean *source*).
In summary, everyone has a position that is designed for them. Let me further quote Jesus, he said “These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared.” In other words, your leadership position belongs to you..no once can take your place!
When I discovered this I became very comfortable in my skin 🙂 You see, that why I have no competition. You cannot compete with a space or position that doesn’t exist anywhere else. Hence, it doesn’t make sense to be a jealous of a true leader because you can never be them nor fit in their “spot” This set me free from any kind of competition, jealousy and pride because where I am, I belong in the spot, and you too belong to yours. Don’t try my spot, this was build just for me. To quote Jesus..it was “prepared for me”.
It is time to seek within you and locate your spot. Whether it’s within Music arena (like Beyonce Knowles) , marathon (Like Usain Bolt) , writing literary pieces (like William Shakespeare) or acting (Like Lupita Nyong’o) , or Pursuing Business endeavors like Donald Trump and so forth. Be honest with yourself. I’m sure you now have an Idea of what it is all about. Seek it and Pursue it…then perfect it all the way to excellence.
(To be continued. Check out the rest of the top notch Ideas Soon)
If you liked this post you may also like my top Ten 2015 posts:
- “The Excellence Manifesto”
- “The Lab of Life”
- “8 REASONS YOU SHOULD EVALUATE THE TWO LEVELS OF FRIENDS IN YOUR LIFE”
- “AN OPEN LETTER TO MY INVISIBLE FRIENDS”
- “YOU CAN BEGIN AGAIN AND CRAFT A BRAND NEW FUTURE!”
- “8 REASONS YOU SHOULD HANG IN THERE AND NOT QUIT!”
- “5 WAYS TO UNEARTH THE MISSING KEY TO SUCCESS (CHAPTER ONE)”
- “FINDING OPPORTUNITIES TO MOVE!!”
- “The New Toughness Training for Sports” By James E. Loehr”
- “NO LIMITS: THE WILL TO SUCCEED” By Michael Phelps & Alan Abrahamson
As always,Let’s Keep Optimizing and see you at the top where there’s enough room for everyone🙂
Like My: FACEBOOK PAGE (<<<<—-Here is the link!)
Follow me on:Twitter (<<<<—Here is the link!)
*If you are looking for poetry and my life empowerment program materials click, Here
Merry Christmas World and Prosperous Happy New Year 2016…and Lets Remember to share the little within our disposal with the less fortunate.